Director, Webdesigner & Webmaster at the Franco-British Lawyers Society
Editorial Board (IP) at SCRIPTed - A technology law journal
Now Ph.D. candidate in copyright law at the University of Edinburgh [expected 2013]
Title: "The advent of the consumerin digital copyright: from micro-infringement to micro-patronage" Supervisors: Professor Charlotte Waelde and Professor Hector MacQueen
2002 LL.M. with distinction at the University of Edinburgh (Intellectual Property, Company Law, Law of Obligations)
2002 Degree in Legal Translation (French, English and Spanish) with distinction from the ISIT, Paris (Institut Supérieur d’Interprétariat et de Traduction).
2001 Business Law Degree at the University of Paris XI Jean Monnet Faculty of Law
UNIVERSITY OF STRATHCLYDE - since January 2011
- Course organiser for the Intellectual Property Law and the E-Commerce classes for the LLM in Information Technology and Telecommunications Law (Course organisation, marking and dissertation supervision)
- Course director for Intellectual Property Law for Undergraduates (LLBs) - since January 2012
- Co-organiser of the “Conversations on Copyright” Series in collaboration with the University of Glasgow and the University of Edinburgh
UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH - TEACHING (Seminars)
- “Introduction to French Law” and “The French legal tradition and the test of economic efficiency”. Seminars in the Comparative Law course (Honours – Elspeth Reid), Edinburgh Law School, October 2010.
- "French Law and the Internet". Seminar in the French Law course (Honours – Joelle Godard), Edinburgh Law School, February 2007.
- "Copyright Law and Moral Rights" and "Music and the Internet". Seminars in the course on European Community Regulation of Culture and the Mass Media (Honours - Dr Rachael Craufurd Smith), Edinburgh Law School, March 2006 and 2007.
UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH – AHRC/SCRIPT - RESEARCH 2002-2007
AHRC/SCRIPT Research Centre for Studies in Intellectual Property and Technology Law, Edinburgh Part time research assistant in all the legal fields covered by the directors of the centre (copyright, trademark, patents, e-commerce and medical law).
- Provided research assistance to the Director and Co-directors of the Centre for their respective subject areas (IT/IP and Medical law).
- Analysed and interpreted statutes, case law, and other sources of legal information.
- Presented the information and updates in suitable formats for academic members of staff. - Updated the Centre’s academic staff on new developments in their subject areas.
- Promoted the Centre’s research and teaching, through involvement with the Centre’s doctorate community and distance learning team. - Created a distance learning module about French law for the LLM program.
- Daily updating and news aggregation for the Centre's website.
Throughout my studies I have done several 3-months summer law internships in Paris in both law firms and legal department of international companies. My work consisted principally in providing support to lawyers and heads of departments in research and translation on intellectual property and technology law issues with particular focus on copyright, trademark, software and life science at Latham & Watkins (2005), Binn & Associates, now part of Lavoix (2004) and Cabinet Chatel (2002). At Thales Intellectual property (2003), I reviewed and analysed all of the company’s IP contracts in order to update the group’s contract database. In the legal department of Total (2000) I audited and improved the company’s knowledge management tools.
Bibliography also available on My SSRN page:
- “New Deal” for end users? Lessons from a French innovation in the regulation of interoperabilityH (2009) 51 William & Mary Law Review 547, with Jane Winn
- A “new approach” to standards and consumer protectionH (2008) 31:4 Journal of Consumer Policy 459, with Jane Winn [Pre-print via the website of the University of Washington]
- The silver lining in Dailymotion’s copyright cloudH (2008) Juriscom.net, 19/04/2008
- La France v. Apple: who’s the dadvsi in DRMs?H (2006) 3:4 SCRIPTed 473
Blog: French-law.net [currently being redesigned]
- "Disconnecting the HADOPI and the French graduated response?" (April 2013) BILETA 2013, University of Liverpool
- "Disconnecting copyright infringers from the internet: A comparison between the French HADOPI and the British Digital Economy Act graduated response schemes" [with Lilian Edwards] (April 2011) Franco-British Lawyer Society, Edinburgh Law School
- “The French Copyright Authority (HADOPI), the graduated response and the disconnection of illegal file-sharers” (October 2010) 38th Annual TPRC, George Mason University - Washington
- With Jane Winn: “Regulating unconscionability: ex ante and ex post strategies” (September 2010) 27th Annual conference of the European Association of Law and Economics, Université Panthéon-Assas - Paris II
- “The French Copyright Authority (HADOPI), the graduated response and the disconnection of illegal file-sharers” (August 2010) IPSC, University of California Berkeley
- “Libre diffusion de la recherche universitaire : les mutations de l’édition juridique aux États-Unis et au Royaume-Uni” (July 2010) Journée des adhérents ADBS, EHESS - Paris
- “The French Copyright Authority (HADOPI), the graduated response and the disconnection of illegal file-sharers” (June 2010) Gikii V, University of Edinburgh
- “The French Copyright Authority (HADOPI), the graduated response and the disconnection of illegal file-sharers” (March 2010) BILETA 2010, University of Vienna
- "France: the land of the Linux? The case of DRM interoperability and reverse-engineering" (September 2009) GikII 4, IViR - University of Amsterdam
-" The French Copyright Authority (HADOPI), the graduated response and the disconnection of illegal file-sharers" (March 2009) SCRIPTed conference on the Governance of New Technologies, University of Edinburgh
- "Panel on the Legal Landscape [regarding DRMs]" (March 2009) Federal Trade Commission Town Hall Meeting on DRMs, FTC @ University of Washington (Seattle)
- "How to promote and improve access to a European legal literature?" (December 2008) European Legal e-Access / Journées Européennes d'Informatique Juridique, Palais du Luxembourg - Sénat (Paris)
- "The French “Creation and Internet” bill: an intelligent design?" (September 2008) GikIII, Oxford Internet Institute
- "La copie privée en France et au Royaume-Uni: un droit de copier ou un droit de payer?" (May 2008) La propriété intellectuelle face au défi de la mondialisation, Université Paul Verlaine (Metz)
- "Private copying in France and the UK: a right to copy or a right to pay?" (March 2008) International Harmonization of Copyright Limitations and Exceptions, Cardozo Law School (New York)
- "Round table: New Speech: the Wisdom of Crowds?" (September 2007) SCL Law 2.0? : New Speech, New Property, New Identity, Herbert Smith (London)
- "International, European and French Copyright Law" (May 2007) Bayer Crop Science (Lyon)
- "La France v. Apple: who’s the dadvsi in DRMs?" (April 2007) BILETA, University of Hertfordshire
- "La France v. Apple: who’s the dadvsi in DRMs?" (December 2006) International Conference on Business, Law and Technology, Copenhagen
- "La France v. Apple: who’s the dadvsi in DRMs?" (September 2006) VI World Computer Law Conference, Edinburgh
- Wendy M Grossman, Freedom of rights management, The Guardian, 26 April 2007
- SCRIPTed, A technology law journal, Board Member: IP Law Editor since 2003
- Franco-British Lawyer Society, Committee member and web officer since 2005
- Droit.org / Juriconnexion, member
- ADIJ (Association pour le Développement de L'Information Juridique), member